Politics are the topic. What do you have to say?

Boston

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Remote Car Starters

Okay. There are a lot of pros and cons to having one of these installed in your car/ truck/ SUV. I'm going to discuss the pros and why I think there are cons.

Pros:
In cold weather (like where I live), these are very convenient. I start my car from the warmth of my apartment 10 minutes before I leave. When I get out side, the Jeep is nice and warm, the engine is ready to go, which is essential in cold weather to reduce wear and tear, and the windshield is defrosted. Because winter can stretch into a 5 month season around here, a remote starter is very convenient.

In warm weather, I set the AC and start it 5 minutes before I leave. The cabin is nice and cool when I get outside. Granted, it's only hot and humid around here 6 weeks out of the year, but it's still nice to have the AC going when I get outside.

Cons:
Some people report that a remote starter screws up the cars electronics. I agree that one installed by a third party that doesn't know what they are doing can indeed screw up the cars electronic system. It could be as minor as seting off caution and warning alarms (I.E. Low Tire Pressure sensors) to the car not starting. To acoid this, have the starter installed by the dealer who sold you the car. Installs performed by a third party that have an adverse effect on the cars electronic systems my result in parts of the warranty being voided.

In sum? If you are going to have a remote starter installed, have it done by the dealer who sold you the car. You will pay mnore that having it done by a  third party. The upside is that you're car's warranty will be in tact and the warranty will extend to cover your new remote starter. I had a few problems with mine after it was installed. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it free. As a matter of convenience, I recommend that you have it installed before you take delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment